Below is the text of Mr Major’s doorstep interview in Corfu on Friday 24th June 1994.
Prime Minister, are you prepared, if necessary, to use the British veto today?
I am not going to discuss what I am going to do in the meeting at all, there are a lot of discussions to be had, they have not yet been had, I am not going to make any comment at all on that until after the meeting.
If it had to be postponed to a special summit, how serious would that be do you think?
The right thing is to get the right candidate and to make sure there is a consensus for the right candidate, that has always been the case and if it is has to be deferred it would have to be deferred, but clearly it would be desirable to reach an agreement.
Can I ask you about your talks with Mr Reynolds, I know the Irish side would like to begin detailed talks about a new framework for Ireland, do you think you can start detailed talks today?
We have been discussing the framework in some detail with the Irish for some time and the Taoiseach and I have had the opportunity of discussing detailed [indistinct] on other occasions, how much detail we will get into this afternoon I am not sure, but we are perfectly prepared for discussions on detail at any time.